We Are Trusted Advisors to Insurance Businesses
Successfully operating an insurance business is about navigating legal risk. Whether assuming, selling or administering property, casualty, health or life exposures, the insurance business involves evaluating legal risk, assumed by contract and marketed, issued and distributed in a heavily regulated and litigious environment.
Attorneys in Leonard, Street and Deinard’s Insurance practice group have spent their careers solving the legal and regulatory dimensions of insurers’ business problems. Many of our attorneys have previous experience in regulatory agencies and the insurance industry, managing legal matters unique to insurance businesses. This perspective enables us to efficiently and effectively handle the broad range of legal challenges that insurers face.
We are routinely involved in insurance company formations; all manners of insurance transactions and dissolutions; alternative risk transfer arrangements; coverage matters; regulatory applications; distribution; and administration arrangements and advocacy before regulators, the courts and arbitration panels.
- We have broad experience in complex stock and asset insurance transactions. Some of these transactions required the enactment of enabling legislation by the Minnesota Legislature.
- We regularly represent insurer clients before regulatory agencies in Minnesota, including company licensing, enforcement, financial and solvency regulation, holding company act applications, agency termination and reinsurance transactions. The firm also represents a number of insurers and related trade associations before the Minnesota Legislature.
- We serve as the national litigation counsel for major insurers practicing nationwide before federal and state courts, arbitration panels, the NASD and regulatory agencies. In addition to a tremendous record of success, we have significantly reduced the client’s average cost of defense and, even more dramatically, settlement on a per claim basis.
- Our firm represents leading risk management and insurance intermediaries in a broad number of matters including reinsurance disputes, surplus lines matters, noncompete issues, regulatory enforcement matters and many other projects.
Key Insurance Capabilities
We provide our clients with comprehensive capabilities, including:
- Insurance regulation, compliance and regulatory advocacy for insurers, producers, administrators, MGAs and related businesses
- Multicase insurance litigation management
- Class action defense
- Insurance taxation
- Insurance transactions and reorganizations, particularly with respect to combinations of for-profit and tax-exempt organizations
- Noncompetition disputes involving brokers and other distribution-related litigation
- Dissolutions and workouts for distressed insurers and fraternal benefit societies
- Tax exempt organizations issues for health plans and fraternals
Representative clients include:
- State Farm
- Willis Re
- Minnesota Self-Insurers’ Association
- Insurance Licensing Services of America, Inc.
- Catholic United Finance
- Federated Mutual Insurance Company
- MMIC Insurance
- Chicago Title Insurance Company
- Various health insurance companies and HMOs in the region and nationally
Phone: 612.335.1500 Copyright © 1999 - 2013 Leonard, Street and Deinard