We Are Trusted Advisors to Insurance Businesses
Successfully operating an insurance business is about navigating legal risk. Whether assuming, selling or administering property, casualty, health or life exposures, the insurance business involves evaluating legal risk, assumed under a legally enforceable contract and marketed, issued and distributed in a heavily regulated and litigious environment.
Attorneys in Leonard, Street and Deinard’s Insurance practice have spent their careers solving the legal and regulatory dimensions of insurers’ business problems. Many of our attorneys have previous experience working in regulatory agencies and the insurance industry, managing legal matters unique to insurance businesses. This perspective enables us to efficiently and effectively handle the broad range of legal challenges that insurers face. We are routinely involved in insurance company formations; all manners of insurance transactions and dissolutions; alternative risk transfer arrangements; coverage matters; regulatory applications; distribution and administration arrangements and advocacy before regulators, the courts and arbitration panels.
- We have broad experience in complex stock and asset insurance transactions. Some of these transactions required the enactment of enabling legislation by the Minnesota Legislature.
- We regularly represent insurer clients before regulatory agencies in Minnesota, including company licensing, enforcement, financial and solvency regulation, holding company act applications, agency termination and reinsurance transactions. The firm also represents a number of insurers and related trade associations before the Minnesota Legislature.
- We serve as the national litigation counsel for major national insurers and in this capacity practice nationwide before federal and state courts, arbitration panels and regulatory agencies.
- Our firm has extensive experience with class action defense of major national insurers.
Key Insurance Capabilities
We provide our clients with comprehensive capabilities, including:
- Insurance regulation, compliance and regulatory advocacy for insurers, producers, administrators, MGAs and related businesses
- Multi-case insurance litigation management
- Class action defense
- Insurance taxation
- Insurance transactions and reorganizations, particularly with respect to combinations of for-profit and tax-exempt organizations
- Noncompetition disputes involving brokers and other distribution-related litigation
- Dissolutions and work-outs for distressed insurers and fraternal benefit societies
Representative clients include:
- State Farm
- Insurance Licensing Services of America
- Minnesota Self-Insurers Association
- Catholic United Finance and its affiliations
- MMIC Holdings, Inc. and its affiliate MMIC Insurance Company
- The Surplus Lines Association of Minnesota
- Federated Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates
- The Service Contract Industry Council
Phone: 612.335.1500 Copyright © 1999 - 2013 Leonard, Street and Deinard