150 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Karl Hansen focuses his practice on the area of transportation law, primarily representing Canadian Pacific Railway’s U.S. operations in transactions and regulatory proceedings.
Prior to joining Leonard, Street and Deinard, he served as an assistant attorney general in the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office, where he gained extensive experience representing state agencies in litigated matters in state and federal courts. While with the state, he represented the Department of Transportation, the Department of Public Safety, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System, the Department of Administration’s Risk Management Division, and various other agencies in administrative hearings, district court trials and appellate proceedings.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Energy Bar Association
- Board member, Community-University Health Care Center
- J.D., summa cum laude, William Mitchell College of Law, 1994
- B.A., cum laude, Carleton College, 1975
- Minnesota Supreme Court, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000