150 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
- Corporate and Business
- Information Technology
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Business Group
- Public Companies and Securities
- Venture Capital & Private Equity
Tom Jensen has substantial experience in a broad range of complex business law matters, with a special emphasis on providing ongoing strategic counsel to companies in the energy, consulting and financial services sectors.
Tom regularly represents buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions, issuers and investors in private securities offerings, and borrowers and lenders in secured and unsecured financings. He also has significant project finance experience, and has served as project counsel for power plant development consortia as well as other energy sector joint ventures and alliances. In addition, Tom routinely counsels clients on Hart-Scott-Rodino antitrust filings and advises registered investment advisers and broker-dealers on a variety of legal issues.
Tom has been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers®-Rising Stars and is a regular presenter at Continuing Legal Education seminars. Tom is also a member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee and was honored in 2004 with the Leonard, Street and Deinard Legal Clinic Volunteer of the Year Award.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Energy Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Board of Directors of Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
Below are recent matters on which Tom has represented energy industry and corporate clients:
- Represented client in $25 million equity investment in 100 MW biomass project, as well as all other matters in connection with $500 million project financing of same project.
- Represented client in $12.3 million senior secured bridge loan to wind developer.
- Represented client in mezzanine loan transaction in connection with 20 MW wind farm in Minnesota.
- Represented client in its acquisition of 100% of the membership interests in an entity that owns approximately 72% of the transmission system rights in the Path 15 transmission project located in California.
- Represented client in take-out financing of $96 million bridge loan facility in connection with ownership of 100% of a 315 MW oil-fired electric generating plant in Virginia.
- Represented client in a $3 million Series B preferred stock investment in a biomass development company.
- Represented client in $3.7 million equity investment in district cooling project.
- Represented minority owner in $32.2 million sale of wind tower business.
- Represented client on anti-trust and regulatory matters in connection with acquisition of 50% equity ownership in 593 MW dual-fired, combined-cycle power generating facility.
- Represented project consortia for 500 MW coal-fired and 200 MW natural gas-fired electric generation projects.
- Represented contractor in $487 million biofuels project financing, including $15 million equity investment by the same client.
- Represented selling shareholder in biofuels initial public offering.
- Represented client in sale of $35 million private stock sale of biofuels company.
- Represented biofuels company in $15 million senior secured lien of credit and $6.8 million line of credit.
- Represented client in $24.6 million equity investment in biofuels production facility.
- Represent client and managed due diligence and antitrust matters in acquisition of 17 radio stations.
- Represented Class I railroad in financings of railcars and locomotives.
- Represented national tax and consulting firm in numerous acquisitions of non-attest accounting practices.
- Represented national tax and consulting firm in divestiture of human capital services division.
- Represented national tax preparation service provider in multiple acquisitions of tax preparation offices.
- Represented CPA firm in redemption of a partner’s interest and addition of two new partners.
- Represented prepaid financial products client in $6.9 million Series A preferred stock financing and $13.6 million senior secured financing.
- Represented real estate development company in $5 million private offering of LLC interests.
- Represented real estate developer in $19 million private tenant-in common offering.
- Assisted with representation of acquisition by U.S. company of a Brazilian manufacturer.
- J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, 1999
- M.A., German, University of Minnesota, 1996
- B.A., cum laude, Philosophy and German, Hamline University, 1991
Phi Beta Kappa
- State of Minnesota, 1999
- U.S. District Court, 2000