150 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
- Corporate and Business
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Business Group
- Public Companies and Securities
- Sports and Entertainment Business
- Venture Capital & Private Equity
Steve Quinlivan practices primarily in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, REITs, sports law, securities and international transactions. His mergers and acquisitions experience includes numerous cross-border transactions, assets purchases, public and private mergers, and tender offers. His securities experience includes all types of offerings, including private placements, initial public offerings, high-yield offerings, investment grade debt, securitizations and international offerings by foreign private issuers.
Steve also has significant experience counseling boards of directors in corporate governance and liability related issues. Steve’s experience includes working with litigation teams defending officers and directors related to corporate matters, advising boards on compliance with fiduciary duties and evaluating and reducing related risk, audit committee advisory assignments and compensation matters.
Steve has been regularly listed in the Chambers USA Guide for America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Client/Source quotes highlighted by Chambers USA include- (Steve) “wastes no time in getting down to business and is resourceful in finding solutions to a range of problems.” Steve is praised for his “tactical skill and mastery of detail.” His background as a CPA makes this group, in sources’ estimations, “the broadest and best for analyzing a client’s financial issues.” Steve “is efficient, focuses on the key issues and doesn’t get bogged down on minor points,” and he is noted by market sources as offering clients “a rare combination of excellence and value.”
Steve frequently writes blog posts for www.dodd-frank.com, to update businesses on developments with this complex legislation. He is frequently quoted in the media including CFO.com, Finance & Commerce, Star Tribune, Compliance Week, National Public Radio’s Marketplace Morning Report, Minnesota Lawyer and Minnesota Public Radio, on the topic of Dodd-Frank and JOBS Act.
Steve joined Leonard, Street and Deinard in 1997 after seven years of corporate transactional practice in the New York, London and Hong Kong offices of Cravath, Swaine & Moore. He also has five years of experience as a certified public accountant with Peat Marwick/KPMG Main Hurdman and previously worked as an audit manager.
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Represented Two Harbors in a number of public common stock offerings totaling over $2 billion. He also represented them in their contribution of their portfolio of approximately 2,200 single family residential properties to Silver Bay Realty Trust Corp. (SBY) in exchange for $329,000,000 of Silver Bay’s common stock. The transaction occurred in connection with Silver Bay’s $245,000,000 initial public offering.
- Represented Quadion in its sale to Norwest Equity Partners.
- Represented MEDTOX in an active auction process and merger agreement for sale to Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings (NYSE: LH) for approximately $250 million.
- Represented G&K Services, Inc. in its acquisition program, advising on over $100 million in transactions to date.
- Represented Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. in its acquisition of the Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad Corporation. The transaction involved a closing payment of $1.48 billion and potential earn-out payments of $1 billion. He also represented Canadian Pacific in its $63.5 million divestiture of its Latta Subdivision to The Indiana Rail Road Company, a subsidiary of CSX Corporation.
- Represented LodgeNet Interactive Corporation in several transactions, including its $380 million purchase of On Command Corporation and its acquisition of StayOnline, Inc., a privately held high-speed Internet services provider to hotels, for $15 million. He also represented LodgeNet in its $225 million tender offer for its outstanding high yield debt.
- Represented Midwest Wireless in its sale to Alltel Wireless for $1.075 billion.
- Represented St. Cloud Wireless in the $312.5 million sale of its Northern PCS operating subsidiary to Sprint-Nextel.
- Represented Computer Network Technology Corporation in its $190 million acquisition of Inrange Technologies Corporation and its subsequent sale to McDATA Corporation for $235 million.
- Represented Hector Acquisition Corp. in its $145 million acquisition of Hector Communications.
- Represented Groupe Aeroplan, Inc., a Canadian public company, on U.S. law matters related to its $175.3 million acquisition of Carlson Marketing, Inc.
- J.D., University of Utah College of Law, 1990
Order of the Coif
- B.S., University of Utah, Accounting and Finance, 1982
- State of Minnesota, 1991
- State of Colorado, 1991
- State of New York, 1991
- District of Columbia, 1991