150 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Jewelie Grape focuses her practice on Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits. She advises clients on a wide range of compensation and benefits issues such as ERISA compliance, health care reform and compliance with other benefits-related state and federal laws, including HIPAA. Jewelie helps clients design, implement and maintain defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans, nonqualified deferred compensation plans, stock option plans, health plans and cafeteria plans.
Jewelie has extensive experience with benefits plans not governed by ERISA and advises church benefit and other organizations on a variety of board governance, general corporate, tax, and employee benefit (including 403(b) and 457(b) and (f) plan) issues. She also has experience concerning the impact of health care reform on not-for-profit organizations. Jewelie provides general counsel services to a local nonprofit organization, managing its day-to-day legal issues and overseeing complex litigation matters.
Jewelie provides legal advice and counsel to her clients in a practical, efficient manner and approaches matters with a thorough understanding of business perspectives. She acquired varied and valuable business counseling skills while serving as in-house counsel for nine years before returning to Leonard, Street and Deinard. Jewelie believes that most issues can be avoided with thoughtful planning. But when an issue does arise, she understands that it may need her immediate and undivided attention. Jewelie partners with those who put their trust and confidence in her to efficiently and effectively achieve their business goals and resolve their business problems.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Board of Directors, Volunteer ESL Teacher, Minnesota Literacy Council, Inc.
- Board of Directors, William Mitchell College of Law Alumni Association
- Past President (2011-2012) and Board Member, Hennepin County Bar Association
- Youth Exchange Committee Chair and Member, City of Lakes Rotary Club
- Speaker, “Compensation and Benefits for Key Employees,” The Minnesota Closely Held Business Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 29, 2013
- Speaker, “Affordable Health Care and Nonprofits,” ELCA Attorneys Association, San Francisco, CA, October 26, 2013
- Speaker, “A Refresher on Fiduciary Standards in the Public Sector,” International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, October 21, 2013
- Panelist, “The 2014 Health Insurance Market: New Challenges,” TIPS Fall Leadership Meeting (American Bar Association), Minneapolis, MN, October 10, 2013
- Speaker, “Best HR Practices for Rapid Growth Companies – Health Care,” Bismarck/Mandan Chamber of Commerce, Bismarck, ND, September 17, 2013
- Panelist, “Employer response to the Affordable Care Act: Penalties, fees and will they send employees to the exchanges?,” 2013 Health Law Institute, June 6, 2013
- Speaker, “The Affordable Care Act - the Employer Mandate,” 2013 Church Plan Workshop, Scottdale, AZ, April 17, 2013
- J.D., cum laude, William Mitchell College of Law
- M.A., Industrial Relations, University of Minnesota
- B.S., Business Administration, University of Minnesota