150 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
- Employee Benefits and Compensation
- ERISA and Employee Benefits Litigation
- Executive Compensation
- Nonprofit and Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Private Business Group
Jeff Cairns advises employers on ERISA and employee benefit matters, including qualified and nonqualified pension and profit sharing plans, ESOPs, welfare and fringe benefit plans. Jeff, who is a certified public accountant, also provides tax and compensation planning advice for owners of closely held businesses and for executives of public and private companies. He provides technical support to insurance and securities brokers and consultants, and third-party administrators of pension and welfare plans.
Jeff is a frequent lecturer for Minnesota Continuing Legal Education and other legal education programs. He is a former editor and a contributing author of the American Chamber of Commerce Publishers, Inc. Employer’s Survival Guide: Minnesota and Federal Employment Law Manual. In addition, he has been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® and has been named among The Best Lawyers in America in the area of employee benefits law. Jeff has been named as one of the Top Rated - AV® Preeminent™ Lawyers in Taxation Law by Martindale-Hubbell.
Jeff is a regular contributor to the firm's Benefits Notes blog, which delivers analysis on the continuously evolving areas of health care reform, retirement plan design and executive compensation.
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Minnesota Society of CPAs
- National and Minnesota Chapters of ESOP Association, Midwest Pension Conference, National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO)
- Past member (1991-2000) and chair (1999-2000), Minnesota State Bar Association, Advisory Council of the Employee Benefits Section
- American Bar Association, Tax Section; Employee Benefits Committee; Real Property Section; Trust and Probate Section; ESOP Subcommittee
- Secretary/Treasurer, Minnesota State Chamber of Commerce, 2004-2007
- Upper Midwest Pension Rights Project, Minnesota Advisory Committee
- Past chair, Board of Directors, Minnesota State Chamber Business Services Inc.
- Former Trustee and Chair of Compliance Committee, William Mitchell College of Law
- Past Board member and vice president, Minneapolis Downtown Rotary Club
- J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, 1981
- B.B.A., University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 1976
- State of Minnesota, 1981
- United States Tax Court, 1992
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1992
Verizon Wireless Center