150 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Climate Change
- Product Liability
- Real Estate Litigation
Dan Scott protects the products, practices and reputations of clients before judges and juries in state and federal courts. The clients span manufacturing, financial services, health care, construction, renewable energy and professional service sectors.
Based on effectiveness, accomplishment and ethical reputation, Dan is recognized as a top attorney by regional and national publications and a national honor society for trial lawyers. Dan has held bar leadership positions, advanced professionalism initiatives for Minnesota’s highest court, raised resources for indigent clients, advanced diversity programs, counseled entrepreneurs and mentored law students.
Dan is a director on the boards of a new professional sports foundation serving youth; a non-profit focusing on Saint Paul’s urban core; a political action committee promoting pro-business officials, and a privately held company advancing the distributed global production of green jet and diesel fuel. He is also immediate past-chairman of the board of a powerful business lobby advocating free markets, transportation infrastructure and economic development.
Through leadership positions on city heritage preservation and planning commissions, Dan has advised Saint Paul mayors Chris Coleman, Randy Kelly and Norm Coleman. He also counsels judges and elected officials on elections, public service and policy initiatives.
Frequently recognized for his work, Dan has been named a Top Business Litigation Attorney by the Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition (2009-10), a Super Lawyer® by Minnesota Law & Politics magazine (2005-10), a Comcast Newsmaker by CNN Headline News (2009) and a Rising Star by Minnesota Law & Politics magazine (2004). He was also honored for Celebrating Business Success by the Saint Paul Area Chamber of Commerce (2006). Dan was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 in the field of commercial litigation.
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- State Bar of South Dakota
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Minnesota Wild Foundation (2009-Present)
- Founding Director and Chairman of Minnesota Regional Board, JetE, LLC (2009-Present)
- Immediate past-Chairman, Board of Directors, Saint Paul Area Chamber of Commerce (2007-Present)
- Board Member and Past Chair, Saint Paul Area Chamber PAC (2004-Present)
- Board of Directors, Capital City Partnership (2002-Present)
- Board of Directors, Miner County Heritage Fund (2004-07)
- Committee Member, Campaign for Legal Aid/SMRLS (2000-Present)
- Commissioner, Saint Paul Heritage Preservation Commission (1998-2007)
- Commissioner, Saint Paul Planning Commission (2003-06)
Dan’s experience covers a broad range of clients and matters, reflecting his professional interests as well as his personal curiosity.
- Statewide counsel for global diversified technology company in defense and risk management of products liability, asbestos and toxic tort matters.
- Statewide counsel for Midwest health ministry in employment practices, professional negligence and licensure actions and general liability matters.
- Statewide counsel for leading supplier of building materials and services in construction and general liability matters.
- Represented doctors, dentists and counselors in governmental investigations and licensure actions, and on risk management matters.
- Represented municipal entities in statewide actions in various employment, premises and other general and tort liability actions.
- Represented various businesses and policyholders in commercial, employment, premises, tort and general liability claims.
- Represented renewable energy group in OSHA and wrongful death proceedings.
- Represented hospitality franchise entities in high-exposure employment matter.
- Represented financial services firm in trade secret, tortious interference and breach of employee fiduciary duties action.
- Represented medical practice group in employment termination matter.
- Scored precedent-setting win for business in eminent domain action.
- Won multi-million dollar order for biotechnology company in commercial action.
- Granted rare summary judgment for homeowner in construction action.
- Won dismissal and settlement in Sarbanes-Oxley executive termination action.
- Secured repayment of embezzled funds for employer in termination action.
- Won reversal on adverse medical licensing decision in favor of physician.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for product manufacturer in equine fire loss.
- Secured dismissal of product manufacturer in resort fire litigation.
- Eagan Economic Development Authority v. U-Haul Co. of Minnesota, 765 N.W.2d 403, (Minn.App. May 19, 2009) (eminent domain litigation)
- Reiter v. Recall Corp., 542 F.Supp.2d 945, (D.Minn. Feb 22, 2008) (employment)
- Van Ornum v. Transamerica Capital, Inc., 2006 WL 3751096, (D.Minn. Dec 14, 2006) (employment litigation)
- Minnesota Life Ins. Co. v. AXA Investment Mgr., 2005 WL 1475336, (D.Minn. Jun 22, 2005) (business litigation)
- Domtar, Inc. v. Niagara Fire Ins. Co., 2004 WL 376951, (Minn.App. Mar 02, 2004) (insurance coverage litigation)
- Domtar Inc. v. Niagara Fire Ins. Co., 2001 WL 988014, (Minn.App. Aug 28, 2001) (insurance coverage litigation)
- Tuttle v. Lorillard Tobacco Co., 118 F.Supp.2d 954, (D.Minn. Sep 28, 2000) (product liability litigation)
- Hills of Bunker Lake Homeowners v. City of Andover, 1999 WL 31154, (Minn.App. Jan 26, 1999) (land use litigation)
- VanDeWalker v. County of Steele, 1998 WL 373266, (Minn.App. Jul 07, 1998) (personal injury litigation)
- Berg v. Hubbard County, 578 N.W.2d 12, (Minn.App. May 05, 1998) (personal injury litigation)
- Boone v. Martinez, 567 N.W.2d 508, (Minn. Aug. 07, 1997) (dram shop litigation)
- Boone v. Martinez, 1996 WL 537634, (Minn.App. Sept. 24, 1996) (dram shop litigation)
- J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, 1993
Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition Team
Best Brief Award
- B.A., Business Administration, Augustana College, 1987
Academic All-America and captain of NCAA wrestling team
- State of Minnesota
- State of South Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Dakota
- U.S. Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals